Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 17 "Art Every Day Month" - Munich Rooftops

Today was a momentous day for me in that, after much procrastination, I finally got started on my distance learning Illustration course. Why the delay? I don't know, perhaps it just all seems a bit daunting, perhaps I'm too busy with Art Every Day Month and life in general. Anyhow, today was the day. So for the first exercise I started researching some 20th century illustrators, Edward Bawden and Eric Ravilious (google them, their stuff is really cool). They have inspired me to try out some linocuts/woodblock printing. But for now, as I don't have those printing tools to hand, I thought I would have a go at another ink line drawing, this time of the rooftops here in Munich.

Although very different to linocuts, ink drawings have the similarity of distinct strong marks, marks which, once made, can't be erased. I'm not overly thrilled with the final image - I think I still really struggle to draw from photographs (I'd much rather be out drawing from the real thing) and I still have problems with perspective, but that's the great thing about Art Every Day Month, you just get on with it, get your stuff out there and keep on learning.



3 comments:

  1. love the motion and looseness of your sketch. Happy AEDM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sketch and its structure is great as well as the proportions ... really nice xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Such dimension.

    ReplyDelete