Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 11 "Art Every Day Month" - Poppies (Lest We Forget)

For Armistice Day, I decided to paint some poppies. Inspired by Mayja Isola's designs for Marimekko, I took a very free, almost childlike approach to creating my poppies, with three layers, two different reds, then a flesh coloured tone and finally a black stigma. I used very simple brush strokes (or more like brush blobs). It was amazing how the poppies started to come to life with each layer.
It's very humbling to think about how many lives were sacrificed for the freedoms we take for granted today so this is just my small way of remembering.



6 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your playful poppies! I picked up one for my lapel in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this childlike quality. A wonderful remembrance!
    Gwen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful page of remembrance... nothing beats beautiful bright red against the crisp white background.... looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poppies look wonderful and are just perfect for Remembrance Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LoVe these poppies (off to look up the artist you mentioned too!), they are such a great tribute x

    ReplyDelete