Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 13 "Art Every Day Month" - Handmade Tea Towel

If I was charging the hourly rate I used to charge as a banking lawyer, this might be perhaps the most expensive tea towel every created, since it took me nearly 4 hours to make (that's around $2000 in "lawyer" time then). OK, so I am not an experienced sewer. That's actually an understatement. This is my first sewing effort with my very first sewing machine. So most of those 4 hours were spent working out how to set up and use the thing. But I learnt a lot. As well as learning how to wind my bobbin, insert it correctly, thread the top thread and pick up the bottom thread, I also learnt that I hate sewing. Can't stand it. Really, it's one of the most stressful things I've done since spending 3 hours working on a loan agreement to then have "the system" go down on me and lose all my work. But the biggest surprise of all? I was actually so chuffed with the end result that I'm willing to put myself through it all again! So I shall persevere and see if it gets easier and less frustrating the more I do it.

Anyway, here is the tea towel, complete with (very proudly) mitred corners, a ribbon loop, decorative  edging on the bottom (which I had bought at a cute store in Vienna) and an appliqued strip of contrasting fabric on the top.  I also thought about adding a pear "stamp" with some fabric paint, but I think 4 hours is enough time spent on one tea towel!




As much as I'd like to give you a "how to" guide, I really don't think I'm the person to be giving sewing lessons. Well not just yet, anyway...

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! For the longest time I've had "get a sewing machine and learn how to use it on my to-do list." Maybe 2012 will be the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous...worth every dollar at the legal rate :)
    Gwen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job! It might have been 4 hours work, but it's also one pretty tea towel!
    In home ec. class I was the student my teacher hated to see coming - I was always tangling threads, stretching fabrics, sewing things the wrong way, and you can imagine how I felt about the whole things. And now I make part of my living by sewing and wouldn't want to do anything else! Things are often frustrating when we first start - it will get easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so pretty! Your first sewing effort puts my pitiful stitching to shame ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too good to be a first attempt... it would take me a lot longer than four hours.... and would take about two bottles of wine and a trip to the therapist to recover... very impressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely - I especially love the crocheted edge. It reminds me too of home ec classes in junior high where I was so bad, and the teacher so mean, I cried in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Lia! Well done you-I admire your patience - I shall you think of you when I have a sewing machine lesson at the weekend with mum! I hate sewing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nicely done! I love the details you added and that is some impressively neat and straight sewing.

    ReplyDelete