4 x ripe bananas, mashed up
50ml olive oil plus extra for greasing
¾ cup of agave nectar
1 egg, beaten
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1½ cups of wholemeal spelt flour (or whatever flour you normally use)
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F (or if your oven is fan forced, 160C/325F) and grease a loaf tin.
2. Put the mashed bananas into a large mixing bowl and mix in the olive oil, agave nectar, egg and vanilla extract.
3. Add the baking powder and then mix in the flour last.
4. Pour into the loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf for 1 hour, or longer if necessary to ensure that a knife comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool (if you can resist) and serve with some fruit and yoghurt (or as the Australians do, toasted with a little butter)
If you want to vary it, you can add in some chopped walnuts at stage 3, or (as I did for the one in the picture), grate in a square or two of dark chocolate and add a tablespoon of cocoa powder.